Sunday, March 1, 2009

Yes, I am a Christian and today I wasn't ashamed.

Normally I tend to keep religion out of my daily rantings. Mainly because I know not everyone shares my beliefs and I don't want to make anyone uncomfortable. So if God talk gives you the squirmies check back later.

Ryan and I got up (semi) in time for church this morning. I am proud to attend Waipahu United Church of Christ. We are a small and (much) older congregation. With very little young blood and no (openly anyway) homosexuals that attend regularly, one would think WUCC would be less progressive. However sitting in church today, listening to the sermon and singing one of the songs chosen for today, I felt...comforted. Pastor Hirano talked of truly loving everyone. He told us what a blessing it is to live here in Hawaii where there is true diversity, unlike what he saw when he lived in the mainland. Part of his message in the newsletter this past week was to encourage everyone to "support legislation that gives rights to all people, especially those that don't have any."

With the anger and hate charged lingo that flies out of the mouths of many loud Christians it was nice to reaffirm my belief in my religion. My religion is loving and accepting. I was taught and I believe that I am NOT worthy to pass judgments about other people. The Bible as God's word would naturally be somewhat difficult for mere mortals to decifer. Since God gave us the freedom to make our own choices doesn't it then follow that this would apply to the Bible too? Why write a Bible (even by proxy) that people should follow verbatim if He gave us the freedom to choose?

A hymn by Julian Rush written in the late 1980s while he was working with AIDS patients brought tears to my eyes because it was so fitting.

"In the Midst of New Dimensions"

In the midst of new dimensions, in the face of changing ways,
who will lead the pilgrim people wandering their separate ways?

God of rainbow, firy pillar, leading where the eagles soar, we the people,
ours the journey now and ever, now and ever, now and ever more.

Through the flood of starving people, warring factions and despair,
who will lift the olive branches? Who will light the flame of care?

God of rainbow, firy pillar, leading where the eagles soar, we the people,
ours the journey now and ever, now and ever, now and ever more.

We are men and we are women, all persuasions, old and young,
each a gift in the creation, each a love song to be sung.

God of rainbow, firy pillar, leading where the eagles soar, we the people,
ours the journey now and ever, now and ever, now and ever more.

As we stand a world divided by our own self seeking schemes,
grant that we, the global village, might envision wider dreams.

God of rainbow, firy pillar, leading where the eagles soar, we the people,
ours the journey now and ever, now and ever, now and ever more.

No comments:

Post a Comment